With the latest infusion of NEW wall decals, we’ve been falling head over heels (yet again!) for the global chic trend. From vibrant colors to tribal prints to bohemian inspired florals, blending patterns and prints from around the globe with both time-worn details and eclectic pieces is one of our most coveted looks for the home. Bringing a well-traveled look to your space may seem like a daunting task, even for the interior designers at heart. However, with a few of our favorite designs in hand we set out to show you with just a few simple additions, adding an international allure to your interior can be both easy and fun.
Can you believe it’s almost time for back to school?! We are always sad to see Summer fade away, but we have to admit that we get pretty ramped up for Fall fashion! Of course we have checked out the Pantone Fashion Color Report for Fall color trends and we are already dreaming about who will have the coolest dorm on campus. This collection of ideas for back to school includes brilliant dorm room decor and phenomenal organization tools!
1. Dry-Erase Decals, where fabulous meets functional! Our peel and stick dry-erase message boards, calendars, maps and planners look lovely while providing a space to stay up to date! Chart your adventures and brush up on geography on a dry-erase map. Maps are classic, they never really go out of style but they have been popping up as a trend in decor and fashion prints recently. A dry-erase message board is a super chic way to decorate your dorm walls, and also works well in a kitchen as a central space to communicate and coordinate busy schedules. A dry-erase calendar keeps your whole month in perspective, and is totally reusable, so technically you will never need to buy a new one! We love decorating with dry-erase because it is interactive wall art.
2. Wall Art Kits! WallPops wall art kits bring the hottest décor themes to your walls, with the brilliant innovation of peel and stick! We know you can’t paint your dorm room. And we know you aren’t even suppsed to use nails, screws or tacks. But that simply does not mean you can’t decorate your walls! Our wall decals are totally removable and repositionable so you can even take them home with you when you move out of your dorm. All of your friends and even your RA will be in awe of your gorgeous dorm room decor. Our wall art decal kits include hipster-chic trendy mustache decals, globe trotting city skylines, pretty flowers and butterflies, vintage-mod bird cage wall decals and much more so you can truly personalize your dorm.
3. Wall Art Quotes! Express yourself and inspire your décor with a beautiful quote on the wall. WallPops wall quotes include heartfelt sayings like “All You need is Love” and great mottos like “You Only Live Once”. Designed with fine graphics and attractive fonts, these words for your wall bring a great message to any room, especially a dorm room. Keep it positive with an upbeat mantra like “Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful” or “Never Let Anyone Dull Your Sparkle”.
We are so thrilled to announce these exciting new designs just for kids! We have expanded our wall decal collection to include lots of fresh inspirations for kids decor! From pirates to butterflies, and dinosaurs to daisies, these kids decals are sure to bring the cutest rooms to life! The designs include our popular dots, blox and stripes, wall art kits large and small, and interactive dry-erase maps, chalk board decals, and growth charts!
Large and small wall art kits await, guaranteed to make your kids rooms the coolest in the neighborhood! These fabulous decals include classic themes like dinosaurs, butterflies, flowers, puppies, planes and much, much more! Featured above is the Puppy Love kit, with dogs of all shapes and sizes and the fancy-chic Delilah flower kit, which comes with shimmering gem accents!
Playful motifs like racecars, daisies, pirates, sailboats, sports and an enchanted bike ride take our popular dots, blox, and stripes to fun new heights. Pictured here are the Regatta nautical themed dots and stripes, and the Patchwork Daisy pink damask dots decals. The line includes 6 dots, blox & stripes combinations, with motifs for boys and girls and designs that both can agree on!
Peel and stick growth charts, colorful kids map decals and 2 new chalk board decals add an interactive flair to this dynamic new collection. Help your kids practice their letters on the Learn to Write chalkboard decal and enjoy charting adventures on the dry-erase Map Decals. These engaging new wall decal designs hold the promise of smiles for years to come, helping you make imaginative and awesome spaces that your children will love!
“I never knew the charm of spring… I never knew my heart could sing, I never missed a warm embrace ‘Til April in Paris, chestnuts in blossom, Holiday tables under the trees…” *Le Sigh* The notion of April in Paris is a romantic one indeed. This dreamy city has set the stage for many a love story with its beautiful fusion of historical splendor and contemporary trendsetting. Each year, this fashion capital hosts Maison & Objet, Europe’s largest home design exhibition. Paula Berberian, WallPops Creative Director, scoured the enormous show searching for the latest trends and reports back here with four that can easily be incorporated into your décor.
“While Pantone named Emerald Green the color of the year, it appeared that 1950’s sugary pastels were evident and making headway,” says Berberian. “A hue I especially saw around the halls was a very soft pink that was commonly paired with taupes and black and white, along with a soft yellow, seen most often with grey.”
Whether in the popular pink, the new hot pistachio pastel, subtle watery blues, or in other soft marshmallow hues, the trend is certainly on time for spring. Oh Pear dots, blox and stripes add a refreshing sweetness to walls, and coordinate beautifully with other pretty pastels like light pink, buttercream yellow and baby blue. The design’s pastel pairing produces a look that’s both soft and sophisticated.
There is a lot of financial uncertainty in the world right now” says Berberian. “Many companies are taking a conservative approach with regards to product introductions taking a deep breath and not wanting to take risks.” Berberian thinks this may be the reason why there are a lot of subdued modern interpretations of classic prints, such as a refreshed floral or damask.
Geometric and modern designs were still a favorite but I, along with my colleagues, concluded that there weren’t any drastically new designs. Overall designers and manufacturers are playing it safe,” concludes Berberian. For a colorful improved classic, the Hollywood design by Jonathan Adler for WallPops incorporates mod colors with a geometric floral pattern. Wow guests upon arrival by adding these WallPops in a foyer. Its large-scale bright print is as cheerful as it is inviting, and by adding the design to an entryway, it also helps to set the overall decorating style and mood of a home.
“This year’s show confirmed that the natural and artisanal is a trend with staying power,” says Berberian. “With a universal shift to more eco-friendly home décor, hand-crafted wooden pieces, even furnishings dyed with vegetable color, such as in a popular citrusy lime green, were prevalent.”
While the organic look was captured in wooden furniture from Scandinavian, Dutch and German to Italian designers, this theme can easily be captured in wall décor as well. For an eco-friendly statement and one that instantly adds an organic feel to a space, the Habitat kit is an ideal addition. Lush forest silhouettes of ferns, leaves, branches and butterflies pay homage to the beauty of nature.
4. Warm Metals
Just as colors were softened at the exhibition, so were the metallic accents. Rose gold, pink copper and yellowy brass finishes, both matte and highly-polished, were on-hand. In furnishings, the metals were often paired with dark woods like walnut, ceramics and marble and, as Berberian attests, were also seen on walls.
“Metallic-accented wallpaper was a constant at Maison, which serves as an affirmation that we’re on-trend,” says Berberian. For some bling on your walls, the Santorini comes cast in silver and gold mylar metallics. These delightful wall accents can transform any space into a sparkling jewel box while still maintaining a sophisticated allure.
As Weather Becomes Dreary, Easily Add Cheerful Colors at Home
Summer’s green grass, colorful flowers and bright fashions are going out with the seasons ahead but that doesn’t mean you have to forfeit such vibrant color just because nature does. Awaken to color in cold months by adding these cheerful additions and enjoy a lively landscape anytime of the year.
- Swap in Happy Rugs: For an effective overall update, swap out neutral and lackluster-looking rugs for something that energizes the space. If you have hardwood or carpet, you can still add a variety of colorful carpets to transform a room without a major remodel. Try invigorating orange, cheerful yellow or even grassy green and add a few accent pieces of the same color around the room for balance. The area doesn’t have to be a circus of colors but these easy additions can add a whole lot of happy in humdrum colder months.
- Bring Nature In: While you may not be able to pick flowers fresh from the garden or even from the store, why not integrate these uplifting beauties more firmly into the décor? Try placing high-quality artificial floral arrangements around the home such as in the foyer, kitchen and living room or making a bigger impression by adding floral wall art. For an easy update, try WallPops, the premier line of peel-and-stick wall art from Brewster Home Fashions, that offers the Des Fleurs Wall Art Kit. It features four large pink-and-white flowers on a lime-green stem with gem embellishments. Other choices, the Sitting In a Tree Wall Art Kit with a whimsical green-leaf tree limb with blue birds perched on them and the Love Birds Wall Art Kit featuring a tan-and-cream tree with flowers, birds and heart-shaped limbs that comes in four square sheets. All approximately $29.99 each. To add a row of flowers, floral dots or a checkered pattern, also try WallPops Petals Dots, Blox and Stripes in a sixties-inspired floral design in pop colors. To accent, WallPops also offers peel-and-stick wall art in colorful solids including Flirt Pink and Stylin’ Green. All approximately $15.99 each pack.
- Colorful Kitchen and Tabletop: Go bright and notice the beauty it brings to the home. One simple way to add color is with dazzling dishes, kitchen accessories and other tabletop items that are used every day. Try throwing a bold red or blue tablecloth over dining tables in time for the holidays or add a splash of color and nature by using dinnerware patterned in lively butterflies, stripes or damask. Also, retire old toasters, coffee makers and blenders and upgrade to colorful options such as those offered by Sunbeam, which currently has small home appliances in cheerful pink and teal. Approximately $19.99 each and available on Target.com. Another great way to add color and pattern to a part of the kitchen is with WallPops Anya Stripes in an intriguing floral motif dominated by a deep teal, or with the Habitat wall art, a modern spin on a classic nature inspiration.
- Pillows that Pop: Perhaps the easiest way to bring color into a space is by placing bright pillows around the room. Rather than purchasing, to simply get tired of the design or color later, buy several standard square 20” x 20” pillows and use stylish covers to rotate these accent pieces to fit with the seasons or your latest favorite color. Try various online retailers such as Pronto Home that offers a wide supply of pillow covers from popular manufacturers that include everything from solids, watercolor patterns to bright bull’s eye prints.
Create a colorful home in cooler months with these easy additions and feel energized all year long.
Do you have a frumpy old filing cabinet at home? Most of us need our filing cabinets for extra storage and to keep our documents organized. However, they do not always make for an appealing room accent. Have you thought about painting a filing cabinet, or, better yet, using wall decals to spruce it up? We have! Check out this quick video where we totally renovate a filing cabinet from drab to fab using a nautical blue spray paint and WallPops by Jonathan Adler stripes!
Thinking about giving your home office decor a face-lift? Or, looking to put your filing cabinet to new use? Not just for organizing paperwork, those ubiquitous metal filing cabinets that seem to lurk in everybody’s home can be fantastic storage for everything from art supplies and photos to holiday decorations and even shoes. However, there is no reason to settle for the industrial-blah look of a typical file cabinet! Paint a cabinet and sass it up with WallPops! This DIY finling cabinet project was simple and came out gorgeous! We used the WallPops by Jonathan Adler Carnaby Stripes and a nautical blue spray paint. The total cost of this project was under $30!
2013 Design Trends from Fashion Week
Fashion Week, where the styles and colors for Spring and Summer 2013 are declared, is sweeping the fashion capitals of the world. Last week saw the streets of New York City flocked by the haute happenings, London is in the midst of the revelry, and next the runways of Milan will open, followed by Paris, with the Design Week shows following a similar pattern of globetrotting. Let’s take a look at the designer movements of the moment!
First and foremost, color lays the palette for each season. Pantone is our go-to resource for au courant colors, their color predictions are spot-on. According to the trend-setters at Pantone, the color to watch out for is Monaco Blue, a nautical and classic blue. We can also look forward to a bold poppy red, and Nordstrom has already declared red lips as the must-have accessory of the season. Bringing a softer side to these classics, we will see happy buttercup yellows, delicate linen hued neutrals, and gauzy jade, dusk, and violet hues. Neons are still in, but are making their way into our homes and wardrobes as details and accessories rather than dominating entire pieces. Black and white, especially together, were also EVERYWHERE on the runways this season! Marc Jacobs entire line revealed a mod ’60s world, almost exclusively in black and white.
Leather looks, perhaps inspired by the 50 Shades of Grey preoccupation, but more likely inspired by the work of photographer Helmut Newton, were prevalent. This tough look was softened with playful sweetheart details, think leather mixed with a garden floral print, or dolled up with lace. Linen also took center stage this season, bringing a relaxed yet luxurious vintage look, one that is also classic French. Stripes manifested themselves into all types of looks, dominating the designs of Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, and Oscar de La Rente. The bold and graphic print trend of last season had staying power, and is, in fact, blossoming. Latin American prints, birds, and busy novelty motifs lent a vibrancy and fun to new designs. We are also seeing a lot of sheers, peek-a-boo cut-aways, and even granny gone wild macrame knots.
Vintage American and French Moderne themes have been prevailing in home decor trends. As the digital age becomes a global norm, iconic items like old fashioned telephones and televisions, typewriters and antique typography, have become more of an artform, representative of a nostalgic past, rather than the function that they once served. Even Micky Mouse himself is enjoying a resurgence in popularity, as the amabassador of such simpler times. French Moderne brings a contemporary finish to the curvaceous lines of Renaissance relics, a modern glamour with a reflective quality.
All of these elements might be summed up as Magpie-Chic. A worldly collector with an eye for style, browsing markets, antique stores, and boutiques from around the world. A bohemian arrangement, where a vintage items repose on contemporary furniture, and clean neutral colorscapes are shaken up by spicy accessories. Raid your granny’s closet and pair one of her colorful skirts with a sophisticated white blouse. No need to match perfectly, or pick a defining theme. Bring together what you love and make it work.
From New York shop windows, to the streets of Milan, our favorite stores on-line, and throughout the mall, bright, bold prints with a global-chic vibe have been strutting their stuff in the sun this year! Cultured and fun, these prints make a statement of worldly fashion savvy. This powerful trend has had a liberating effect on our decorating and fashion sense, allowing us to mix styles and prints like never before with confident abandon. Picture a canary yellow African wax fabric pillow, resting on an orchid Moroccan pouf ottoman with a blue chevron pattern throw blanket… gorgeous!
Where once these vivid colors may have been shocking and (gasp!) clashing, now they are invigorating and a la mode. Influenced by global ventures, uniting color and pattern traditions of different cultures, these exotic fashions boast touches of Africana, animal prints, tribal chic patterns and romantic suzani and paisley designs from the Middle East. Peruse the gallery of striking wall art below from WallPops and plan to add some worldly touches to your home decor! Be tempted by shimmering patterns inspired by the golden island sun of Greece in Santorini and Geo Circles, enticing Casbah room panels with an Arabic intrigue, artisanal tree wall art, ethnic Persian textile suzani patterns, distant island prints like Bali, and chic animal print wall decals. Invigorate your walls with an adventurous splash of spicy style!
The Colors of Classic!
Black and white, the ultimate combination for enduring sophistication. As compelling in a modern decor theme as in a vintage style or a country-chic motif, black and white defines classic. There is something intriguingly je ne sais quoi about both black, and white, the only colors who almost defy color at all. White, the color of light that can be broken into all the colors of the spectrum, and black sometimes referred to as the absence of color, are enigmas, and they contrast with each other like no one else.
Using black and white as a decor theme is a fresh and clean approach, truly capable of making a space appear larger. To take advantage of this distinguished duo together, add pops of color for style and warmth. For a modern look, bling-y metallic accents provide a sleek and chic detail. For an inviting, rustic appeal, country blues and yellows are a welcome splash of sass. Even gentle dallops of cream, taupe and brown will bring a personal touch to a black and white room. Below are images from Ink, a Black and White Collection from Brewster Home Fashions, showing a diverse range of rooms from contemporary to traditional.
These rooms are beautiful examples of well done black and white themes. However, to add a black and white element to your existing decor is also an option, one with a lot less commitment and a lot more room for integrating this fresh theme into your already fabulous arrangements. Try painting one wall black, and making it a salon wall to showcase your photos and art with Jonathan Adler for WallPops black and white frame decals. Or dress up a white wall with snazzy black wall art! WallPops is a brilliant solution for adding color and style to white walls. Check out the black and white inspiration below.